New England Clam Chowder
(2) 6.5 oz cans of minced clams
(2) 10oz cans whole baby clams
(2) 8oz bottles of clam juice
½ lb smoked bacon. Minced
2 onions finely chopped
4 lb medium red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk diced
3 tbsp of butter
3 tsp Cathy's Oregano Leaf
3 tsp Cathy's Basil Leaf
4 Cathy's Bay Leaves
3 tsp Cathy's Dill Weed
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of celery soup
2 ¾ cups of heavy cream
3 cups of 2% milk
3 tbsp corn starch mixed in 4tbsp water
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Drain clams and reserve juice. In a stock pot, add bottles of clam juice and reserve clam juice from clams, potatoes and bay leaves to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until potatoes are tender.
2. In a separate skillet, sauté bacon. Remove bacon from pan hen bacon is crispy. Add butter, onions, celery,basil, oregano, and dill weed to bacon fat and sauté until onions are translucent. Do not allow to brown.
3. When potatoes are tender add clams, vegetables, heavy cream, milk, cream of chicken soup and cream of celery soup. Mix well until soups are dissolved. Add corn starch mixture. Careful not to over stir. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes. Careful not to allow potatoes to stick to bottom. Stir constantly
4. Add bacon allow to cook 10 more minutes. Add salt and pepper if needed
5. Soup is now ready; allow to rest for 30 minutes. Serve with oyster crakers.