2 chicken thighs
1 chicken bouillon
Dash of pepper
2 sticks of butter
9 oz of All purpose flour
2 tbsp canola oil
1 ½ smoked andouille sausage, cut into ¼ inch slices
2 small onions (small diced)
3 celery stalks (small diced)
2 medium green bell peppers (small diced)
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 14 oz can of Delmonte Fire Roasted diced tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 quarts of water
2 tbsp clam base
3 tbsp Gumbo file powder
2 tbsp dried thyme
2 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 tbsp Cathy's Cumin
1 tsp Tabasco
1 tbsp Cathy's Oregano Leaf
1 tsp ground black pepper
3 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Cathy's Bay Leaves
½ lb okra cut (fresh or frozen)
2 lbs medium shrimp (shelled & deveined)
1 lb bay scallops
½ lb crawfish tails
Cooking Instructions: preheat oven 350 degrees
1. Making the roux: melt butter in oven proof pan on medium low. Whisk in the flour slowly until smooth. Bake in oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes. Mixture should have a peanut butter color. When finished pill from oven and let cool at room temperature.
2. Place both chicken thighs in a pot and cover with water, add chicken bouillon cube and dash of pepper to pot. Boil on medium high until chicken is done and tender: about 1hour and 30 minutes. Be sure to not allow water to boil out, you need at least 1 cup of broth for gumbo.
3. Meanwhile place a large pot or Dutch oven on medium heat, add oil and sausage and brown lightly. Remove sausage from but leave drippings in pot.
4. Add onions and a dash of salt, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until translucent; add celery and peppers cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add tomato products, the water and the clam base. Stir well and add the seasonings turn heat up to high, bring up just to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
6. Add the cooled roux one once at a time to the pot while whisking. Add chicken broth from cooked chicken thighs mix well. Add okra simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Remove skin from chicken and shred chicken with fork. Add seafood, sausage and chicken. Simmer until seafood is thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat adjust thickness with more water if needed. Salt and pepper to taste if needed.