Zesty Caesar Salad
For the garlic croutons:
½ a day-old baguette
4 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled
For the dressing:
6 anchovy fillets
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1tbsp Dijon mustard
Tones Ground Black Pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
¾ cup olive oil
For the salad:
1 head of romaine lettuce leave torn into pieces
4 ½ oz parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1. Cut the baguette into ½ inch slices, then into cubes. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic and bread and fry, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Pour the croutons on to paper towels to drain of any excess oil. Discard the garlic.
2. Put the anchovy fillets into a large salad bowl and crush them with a fork. Add the garlic, mustard, Tones Ground Black Pepper, and lemon juice and stir.
3. Gradually whisk in the oil so the dressing emulsifies and thickens slightly, and taste for seasoning.
4. Add the lettuce to the dressing and toss until well coated. Crack the egg into a small bowl, beat it with a fork, then add it to the leaves and dressing and toss together.
5. Add half the croutons and two-thirds of the parmesan and toss again. Taste a piece of lettuce for seasoning, adding salt only if necessary; the cheese and anchovies are already salty. Serve the salad directly from the bowl and pass the remaining parmesan and croutons separately.