Homemade Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese frosting
1- ½ packages (about 3-1/4 tsp) dry yeast
¼ cup warm water
½ cup Crisco Butter Flavor shortening
1/3 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
1 cup milk
41/2 cups of sifted flour
1 cup of soften butter
¾ cups of light brown sugar
½ tbsp Cinnamon
¾ cup of Emeralds Apple Cinnamon Nuts chopped (optional)
Cream Cheese frosting
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup unsalted butter, soften
1 tsp artificial butter flavor
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
½ tsp McCormicks Vanilla Extract
½ tsp milk
With electric mixer cream butter and cream cheese. Add Vanilla and remaining ingredients and mix until cream and smooth. Spread over warm cinnamon rolls.
1. Add the warm water to the yeast and soak 10 minutes.
2. Scald milk; pour over the shortening. Add sugar and salt and cool to tepid. Add the dissolved yeast and beaten egg. Add 4 cups flour adding one at a time beating after each addition.
3. Dough should be soft yet firm enough to handle. Knead on floured board until elastic and smooth. Avoid too much flour. Turn dough into well oiled bowl. Let rise for 1-1/2 hours.
4. Press dough down and divide into workable size. Roll dough out into a rectangle. Cover with melted butter. Layer with a generous thick layer* of brown sugar. Sprinkle on cinnamon as desired. If you like nuts, layer on a layer of nuts. Roll up jellyroll fashion.
5. Using a scissors or a piece of string, cut off slices about 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick. Place slices in an 8 or 9 inch round greased cake pan. Place one slice in the middle and other slices around it. Press rolls down to even out and fill pan. Let rise until rolls fill the pan generously...about another hour.
6. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 - 20 minutes. If rolls get too brown, cover with a piece of tine foil until the end of baking. Do not over bake rolls.
7. Remove immediately from pan by inverting onto a plate and then tip over onto another plate to right the rolls.