1 Pie Crust Ingredients:
1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick well-chilled Crisco Butter Flavor Baking Sticks
OR 1/2 cup well-chilled Crisco butter flavor vegetable shortening
3 to 6 tablespoons ice cold water
Pie filling ingredients
6 medium Granny Smith apples
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter
Dutch topping ingredients
¾ cup flour
¼ cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1. BLEND flour and salt in medium mixing bowl.
2. CUT chilled shortening into 1/2-inch cubes. Cut in chilled shortening cubes into flour mixture, using a pastry blender, in an up and down chopping motion, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
3. SPRINKLE half the maximum recommended amount of ice cold water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Press chunks down to bottom of bowl with fork. Add more water by the tablespoon, until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.
Tip: Test dough for proper moistness by squeezing a marble-sized ball of dough in your hand. If it holds together firmly, do not add any additional water. If the dough crumbles, add more water by the tablespoonful, until dough is moist enough to form a smooth ball when pressed together.
4. SHAPE dough into a ball for single pie crust. Flatten ball into 1/2-inch thick round disk(s).
TIP For ease in rolling, wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
5. ROLL dough from center outward with steady pressure on a lightly floured work surface (or between two sheets of wax or parchment paper) into a circle 2-inch wider than pie plate for the bottom crust. Transfer dough to pie plate by loosely rolling around rolling pin. Center the rolling pin over the pie plate, and then unroll, easing dough into pie plate. Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Fold edge under. Flute dough as desired.
1. Roll out dough for bottom crust. Place in 9-inch pie plate. Press to fit without stretching dough. Trim even with pie plate. Do not bake.
2.HEAT oven to 3750ºF.
3. PEEL, core and slice apples. Toss with sugars, flour and cinnamon. Pour into unbaked pie crust; dot with butter.
1. In a medium bowl, with a pastry blender or a fork, mix flour, both sugars, and butter until coarsely crumbled.
2. Sprinkle evenly over apples.
3. Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes
Tip cut foil into 2 inch wide long strips; connect strips together to wrap around crust edges of pie to prevent over browning.