Mussels In Savory Herbs & Shrimp and Vegetable Crostini
serves 6 to 8
2 Tbsp olive oil
7 oz bacon, cubed
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
14 oz can diced tomatoes
7 Tbsp dry white wine
6 pounds live mussels, scrubbed and bearded, or frozen prepackaged
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the bacon until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook gently until softened. Mix herbs in small bowl then add the herbs. Add both types of tomatoes. Cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
Put the wine and mussels in a separate pan. Cover and shake over high heat for 5 minutes, until the mussels open, If using prepackaged mussels cook until steam comes out of pot when lid is removed. Discard any that remain closed.
Strain the cooking liquid into the saucepan containing the tomato sauce and boil until reduced by about one-third. add the mussels and stir to coat them thoroughly with the sauce. Take out the bay leaf. Top with bacon and Cathy's Parsley Flakes . Serve hot!
Shrimp & Vegetable Crostini Ingredients
1 lb deveined shrimp
4 thin slices of French bread cut diagonally across
6 garlic cloves minced divided in half
1/4 cup olive oil (plus 2 tablespoons)
2 cups baby portabella mushrooms, trimmed
1 14 oz can of artichokes drained and chopped
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp capers
Tones Sea Salt & Tones Ground Black Pepper to taste
Directions: Preheat oven 375 degrees
1. Slice French bread diagonally into ¼ inch slices.
2. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and minced garlic into a small bowl
3. Brush bread with olive oil and garlic place on cookie sheet, then toast bread in oven to desired brownness
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in pan on medium heat add garlic sauté for 2 minutes
5. Add mushrooms sauté' for 3 minutes add shrimp, sauté for 3 minutes.
6. Gently stir in drained artichokes, capers and then add the chopped flat parsley. Season with salt and pepper
7. Spoon shrimp mixture over toast and drizzle with a little of the sauce from the Mussels