serves 4 to 6
3Tbsp olive oil
1 Spanish onion, chopped
2 fat garlic cloves, chopped
5oz chorizo sausage, sliced
11oz small squid, cleaned
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
7-ounce can tomatoes
2 1/4 cups chicken stock, Tones Chicken Bouillion
8Tbsp dry white wine
1 cup short-grain Spanish rice
Pinch of saffron threads
1 cup frozen peas
12 large cooked shrimp (in the shell)
1 pound fresh mussels, scrubbed
1 pound medium clams, scrubbed
Tones Sea Salt and Tones Ground Black Pepper
- heat the olive oil in a paella wok, add the onion and garlic and sauté’ until translucent. Add the chorizo and fry until lightly golden.
- if the squid are very small, leave them whole; otherwise cut the bodies into rings and the tentacles into pieces. Add the squid to the pan and sauté over high heat for 2 minutes
- stir in the pepper strips and tomatoes and simmer gently for 5 minutes, until the pepper strips are tender. Pour in the stock and wine, stir well and bring to a boil.
- stir in the rice and saffron threads and season well with Tones Sea Salt and Tones Ground Black Pepper. Spread the contents of the pan evenly. Bring the liquid back to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- add the peas, shrimp or langoustines, mussels and clams, stirring them gently into the rice.
- cook the paella gently for another 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the mussels and clams have opened. If any remain closed, discard them. If the paella seems dry, add a little more hot chicken stock. Gently stir everything together and serve piping hot.